How to Talk to Kids About the Bible
By Moira Gardener
The Bible is like a treasure map that gives us guidance in our lives. It is a collection of different books written over a period of 1,000 years by many people who were guided by God. The oldest book is 3,500 years old. Now that’s old!
The Bible is divided into two parts: the Old Testament and the New Testament. The Old Testament, written in Israel long ago (with some books written in what is Iran today), tells us about the beginning of the universe, the history of the Jewish people, His message to them and God’s commandments.
The New Testament talks about Jesus’ life, the history of the early church, and the way we receive God’s forgiveness. Some of the books in the New Testament were also written in Israel. Others were written in what we know today as Greece, Turkey, and maybe even Italy.
By reading the Bible, God’s treasure map, we can learn who God is and what is important to Him. Reading the many interesting stories will give us practical tips on how to live life – how we should act, do good, pray, comfort others, and how Jesus saves us. There is enough “treasure” in this book for everyone in the world – young and old, and the more a person studies it, the more treasure can be found. We also learn about God’s love and life in heaven. But the most important discovery will be a best friend named Jesus.
Once you find these treasures they can be yours forever and ever. They cannot be stolen or destroyed. But they cannot be given to you by another person. You will need to dig for them yourself by spending time reading the Bible, praying to God and asking Him to show you the treasures He has for you.
- Collection of books
- Inspired by God 2 Timothy 3:16-17 Discusses what the bible is and how it can be used
- Old Testament written in ancient Israel and some books in what we know today as Iraq
- New Testament also written in ancient Israel and in what is known today as Greece, Turkey and maybe even Italy.
- The Bible is the word of God holding treasure for everyone.
- Written by people guided by God.
Why read the bible.
… to dig out treasures.
Here are a few, and I’m sure you can add your own:
- Find out how much God loves you
- Find out how to pray
- Find comfort in sad times
- The biggest reason to read the Bible is to find out for yourself what God has to say and not to hear it second hand.
Check it Out
- Psalm 19 7-11 discusses many of the treasures we can find.
- Timothy 3:16-17 tells us who inspired the Bible.
- James 1: 19-27 Talks about listening to and then doing God’s will.